Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Thing 4: Current awareness - Twitter, RSS and Storify

I've been using Twitter for some time so want to focus my attention on learning something new - Storify. I find Twitter really useful for keeping connected with other librarians and keeping up to date. I follow a mixture of work and non-work accounts and find I'm able to filter them by scan reading depending on what kind of information I'm after. I'm guilty of posting more personal trivial tweets than anything that's likely to rock the profession, but I think the personal touch is an important part of the Twitter conversation and I try to retweet things I find useful.
I haven't used Google reader for some time. I was using it to look at people's personal blogs, mainly because I liked the pretty pictures of people's homes etc. I now prefer Pinterest for all things visual so I have cleared out my Google Reader feed and will use it simply for professional feeds. I was using Twitter to pick up blog posts but I think there is a risk of missing useful posts.
So, for something new, I have had a play with Storify. I created a story of the tweets we've had so far for the CIG conference. I think this is a tool I'll need to continue to play around with to get the most out of it, but I can see how useful it would be to capture those tweets it's so easy to miss.



No comments:

Post a Comment